Wednesday 9 January 2013

Coffee Victoria Sandwich - A quick kick of caffeine for those January weekends.

Good morning! Good evening! Good afternoon!
Golly, I'm shattered! What a week it's been... First week back at school (always a toughy) early mornings, healthy lunches, essays, gym, late nights. Yep! It's definitely January!
But hey-ho, it's not all doom and gloom I promise. :)
And although I'm trying to steer well clear of anything sweet, stodgy, chocolatey or just flavoursome in general (yeah... Ryvitas... they're not the same as real bread) I prooooomise I'll keep sticking stuff on here for all of you to enjoy, especially if you're not still feeling bloated from the holidays!
Last week, (last Thursday to be exact) it was my brother's 22 birthday and, of course, I was put on cake making duty!


Now, Joe's a bit of a coffee fiend (being a student I suppose it was a substitute for food most of the time) and so am I (I love a large cappuccino on a cold day) and I think it's the perfect pick-me-up for the January blues!

  

I picked this recipe out from a recipe book I got for Christmas Mary Berry's Ultimate Cake Book and of course, in true Mary style, it's gorgeous!

Ingredients
4 eggs, beaten
2 heaped tablespoons of instant coffee
225g soft margarine
225g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

For Filling and Topping
50g soft margarine
175g icing sugar, sifted
1tbsp coffee essence
1tbsp milk, optional

Method
Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
Grease and line 20cm sandwich tins with greaseproof paper.
Place the eggs in the bowl and stir in the coffee until dissolved.
Add the remaining ingredients and beat well until thoroughly blended.
Divide the mixture between the sandwich tins and level out.
Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes or until well risen and the tops of the cakes spring back when pressed.
Leave to cool in the tins for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

To make the butter cream...
Blend together margarine, icing sugar and coffee essence until smooth.
Add milk if necessary.
Use half the butter cream to sandwich the cakes together, spread the remaining on top.
Decorate!!!  
Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to
    my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and
    was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy
    reading your blog and I look forward to your new
    updates.

    my weblog :: Green Coffee Diet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was curious if you ever thought of changing the page layout of your blog?

    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so
    people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text
    for only having 1 or 2 images. Maybe you could space it out better?


    Visit my weblog: GCBx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for the comment, I appreciate knowing how other people view the blog.
      Unfortunately, I'm no technology wizard. Layout creativity isn't my forte! But hopefully, I'll starting a new venture soon. I'll let you know when so you can check it out!
      Jess x

      Delete