Saturday 19 January 2013

Chocolate and Vanilla Pinwheel Biscuits

Okay, so as you all know from my previous post, it's all going on down here in Somerset! The snow has arrived, and although it only fell for one day and has started to thaw today *sad face* everyone is still on a hype about it. And quite rightly so! We're desperately deprived of sledging antics in this part of the world...
However, although I love watching the snow fall and going for walks across the hills, I'm not really one for getting cold. Call me a scrooge if you like, I just have rubbish circulation in my hands and feet. :)
So, instead of trudging up the Knoll with a sledge that's inevitably going to break anyway, I did something MUCH more productive with my time yesterday.
Yep, you guessed it. I baked!
But I wasn't craving cake, or muffins, or anything like that... so instead I sifted through my Mary Berry's ultimate cake book and found these little gems!


PINWHEEL BISCUITS! Aren't they just the cutest?


And yes, I did go a bit crazy and run into the snow with my slippers on... just to get some nice pictures.


Being quite crumbly, they're surprisingly perfect for dunking!! Especially in a steaming hot mug of coffee. Sat inside while the snow falls. Watching a film... no prizes for guessing what I spent my day doing yesterday. ;)


Makes about 20 biscuits
Ingredients

Vanilla Biscuit Mixture
50g hard margarine - softened
25g caster sugar
25g cornflour
50g plain flour
a few drops of vanilla extract

Chocolate Biscuit Mixture
50g hard margarine - softened
25g caster sugar
25 cornflour
40g plain flour
15 cocoa

Method
Lightly grease 2 baking trays.
Measure all the ingredients for the Vanilla Biscuit Mixture into a bowl an mix until combined and it forms a dough.
Knead slightly.
Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30mins.
Make the Chocolate Biscuit Mixture in the same way, also wrap and chill the dough.
On a floured surface, roll out each piece of dough into 2 oblongs 25x18cm (10x7in).
Place the vanilla dough on top of the chocolate dough and roll the two together from the longer edge .
Wrap in cling film and chill for a further 30 minutes.
Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
Cut the roll into 20 slices with a sharp knife and place on the baking trays.
Bake for 20 minutes until the vanilla biscuit is golden in colour.
Lift onto a wire rack. Leave to cool.
Then enjoy!!


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment