Saturday 2 February 2013

An apple a day...

Well, hey there. It's me again!
And have I got a treat for you...
Yes. Yes I do. A special treat.
In fact, it's so yummy you'll want to make it again and again.
Serve it hot or cold. It's that wonderful.
I'm drooling just thinking about it...
I'm really bigging this up aren't I?

But seriously, it's great. Seriously. Trust me.
You trust me right? You should. It's me!


Look everyone look! I made apple cake!
'An apple a day.' Geddit? Ahahahaha...


Anyway, so I have to say... I love this cake. I. Just. Love it.
With all that fruit and spice jam packed into it. What's not to love?!
And bless its cotton socks, it's not the most beautiful of cakes. But that doesn't matter, because it tastes absolutely spectacular.


If you could manifest the saying 'it's what's on the inside that counts' into a cake... this would be my cake of choice.
See why I love it so much now?!


Oooooh, and did I tell you? I made it for mum's birthday yesterday.
Now, please excuse me while I just go and polish my halo...

A recipe from the The Primrose Bakery Book - guaranteed to be amazeballs!

Ingredients
300g plain flour
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp 
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
170g raisins
115g chopped walnuts
120g unsalted butter at room temperature
230g granulated sugar
1 large free-range egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
500g apple sauce (from a jar) or unsweetened stewed apple
Icing sugar, for dusting

Method
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/gas mark 4.
Grease one 23cm cake tin, 6-7 cm in depth and line the base with baking paper.
Sift the flour, bicarb of soda and baking powder into a bowl.
Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and mix well.

In another bowl, combine the raisins and walnuts and then add a small amount of the flour mixture to coat them.

In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat well.
Beat in the flour mixture, 1/3 at a time, alternating with the apple sauce.

Finally, stir in the walnut and raisin mixture with a spoon until well combined.
Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin.
Bake in the centre of the oven until the top is a golden brown colour and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Let it cool in it's tin before turning out onto a wire rack.
Dust a little icing sugar on the top before serving, if liked.

(also, you can serve this warm with double cream... 
oooh yeaaahhh.)

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Your cake looks great, the powdered sugar gives it a professional touch! I was wondering if you’d like to enter this recipe into our Gourmandize Giveaway recipe competition. This month the theme is apples so it would be perfect, and there are nice prizes to win – let me know what you think:

    http://www.gourmandize.co.uk/article-1-recipe-competition-for-the-best-apple-recipe.htm

    Regards,

    Laurence

    ReplyDelete