Friday 23 November 2012

The Drizzliest Lemon Loaf.


Happy Birthday Fabian!


Have no fear my lovely cinnamon swirls, Jess is here! Ah, ah, ah! Okay, so, I promise that I have a good excuse for being so silent recently. I know it's unacceptable. Look at me, wanting to start a blog, reaching someone in Spain, posting a recipe, being all 'blogworthy' and then just... mute. I apologise, I really do. However this latest instalment I'm sure will go down well with you all.
Yes. Indeed. Make way everyone. The Lemon Drizzle Cake recipe has arrived.
Original right? No, I didn't think so either.
I know it's generic, but I really do believe that no baking archive (blog/book/scroll/bible) is complete without this gorgeously simple bake. There's just something so fresh about the zing of lemon and sugar coinciding with a crumbly cake that makes my mouth water.
So what's caused Jess to share with us her lemony adventures? I hear you ask.
Well of course, being the storyteller and general chatterbox that I am... I will tell you.
Actually, it's not greatly exciting (I live in a village remember, not a lot goes on. In fact, getting caught up in a cow crossing is pretty much the highlight of any day) however, this particular cake was requested of me a while ago from a friend who managed to get me a ticket to Glastonbury Festival next year! I was so unbelievably happy that without thinking I exclaimed 'Fabian, oh my gosh! Thank you so much!!! I'll bake you anything you want. You name it, I'll bake it.'
I instantly realised that right there, he had the perfect opportunity to conjure up any crazy concoction in his head and I would be faced with the challenge of baking it... I felt weirdly nervous as he thought of what he fancied.
And then, with a smile spreading across his face he said 'Y'know what? Lemon Drizzle is my absolute favourite...'
Unfortunately, it all got forgotten about with the whirlwind of work/revision etc. until now.
Today was Fabian's 17th birthday and I decided not to back out on a promise. So he finally got his lemon drizzle. I think he enjoyed it. ;)
And so, my little sugar plums, my Lemon Drizzle Loaf! (Taken from The Primrose Bakery Book - These recipes are wonderful!)

Ingredients
155g self-raising flour, sifted
1tsp baking powder
155g golden caster sugar
20g cornflour
155g unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 large eggs
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon

For the Drizzle
160g granulated sugar
juice of 2 lemons

Method
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/gas mark 4. Grease 1 x 900g loaf tin and line with baking paper or a loaf tin liner
Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and cornflour into the bowl or a food processor. Pulse the mixture for 4 seconds, or mix with a wooden spoon until evenly mixed.
Add the butter, eggs and lemon zest and juice. Process briefly until evenly blended, or beat with an electric hand whisk until evenly blended.
Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and level the top with a spatula.
Bake in the centre of the oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown, or when a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Leave the loaf to cool.

The Drizzle
Stir the sugar and the lemon juice in a jug.
Prick the loaf all over with a fork, pour the drizzle over the loaf and allow it to set.

(apologies for the pictures not being so great, the artificial lighting in the common room was terrible!)

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment