Sunday 11 November 2012

'Lighter Than Light' Cakes - With White Chocolate Leaf Decoration.




And so, my little chocolate drops I bring you my first recipe!!
It's been an absolutely MANIC day. As well as remembrance day (haven't they had wonderful weather for the ceremony? I also really loved Queenie's poppy brooch. Note to self: Make one next year...) we've celebrated my Auntie's Birthday and also watched an INCREDIBLE firework display this evening! (I was so excited, in fact, that I completely forgot to take my camera, otherwise there would be MILLIONS of pictures posted on here to show you all!)
With the little amount of time that I had, the 'baking morning' I had scheduled was cut a little short! But I did spend time mulling over something short and sweet to bake. My conclusion? Of course, it had to be.. Fairy cakes. The speed demons of the baking world. :)
However... I wanted to give them a slight autumnal twist, (after all, I'd gotten cute little floral paper cases for them to bake in) and added these clever little white chocolate leaves for decoration which I took from a book named 'Cakes & Cake Decorating, Step by Step', I found it in a second hand bookshop and it's a godsend! They're so easy, but so effective, whoever came up with this idea is an absolute genius!
These little spongey gems are so light and fluffy, they take no time at all and go down a treat.
Happy Baking!
Makes 24

Ingredients
225g butter (softened)
225g caster sugar
4 large free-range eggs
225g self-raising flour

For The Leaves
150g white chocolate (however, you can make this cute decoration with any type of chocolate!)

Method
Preheat the over to 180 degrees. Line two bun trays with 24 paper cases.
Beat the butter and sugar together until creamy.
Beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a tablespoon of flour with each addition and beat really well after each addition.
Fold in the rest of the flour.
Spoon the mixture into the cases (until about 3/4 full)
Bake for 20 minutes (until the tops spring back when touched, or when a skewer inserted comes out clean.) and cool them on a wire rack.
Leaves
Have a wander round your garden, find any leaves you think are the right size for the size of your cakes (mine were pretty small, so I put two on some cakes, I'd say rose leaves are the best!)
Melt the chocolate.
Using a very small paintbrush, carefully spread the melted chocolate on the underside of each leaf (be careful not to go over the side of each leaf)
Leave on a piece of baking parchment until completely set. (I usually put them in the fridge, and they usually take about 10 - 15 minutes to set, but it depends)
Once set, very gently peel the leaf from the chocolate and arrange them on each cake.
Once you are happy with your arrangement, gently sprinkle some icing sugar on top of the cakes for a prettier effect, and make up a small amount of icing with icing sugar and warm water.
Gently dab a bit of icing on the back of each leaf and place on the cake. Leave to set and stick. 

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. This is genius, i love the use of the leaves to make chocolate leaves (will be trying that one at home)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, they're amazing! And the best bit? They work every single time! :)
    Thank you for commenting. x

    ReplyDelete