Friday 8 March 2013

Zingalingin' Orange Cake.


Okay everyone, please don't diss me for being unoriginal.. I reckon I've seen a photo like this before.
Is it deja vu? OH YEAH, because I've used a similar one on this post. But actually, now that you look at them both... if you scrutinise them side by side (as I am doing right now... me = no life) they're not that similar at all... what was I worrying about?
Stop making me worry.

So basically. Here's the deal. I live in England. Therefore, there's hardly any sun.. like, nil sun. Zilch. None.
Especially in this first part of the year. I know it's been wintery and all... but just so DREARY. It really makes me sad. And I lose all my baking mojo when I'm sad.
So whenever we have good weather... I'm gonna blog about it. That's just how deprived I am!

BUT, HEY, LOOK!
The sun came out on Tuesday!!! I mean... it went straight back in again (as in, the next day Mr Sunshine was nowhere to be found and I woke up to the same old grey, misty murk that I've been used to for the last 16 years of my life) and has rained for the the rest of this week.
But it was there, I saw it! I swear!!




And, as I'm sure you'll all agree, everything just seems so much better in the sun!!
Your clothes fit better, your skin looks clearer and you can forget your coat at the door, striding out with a confident smile that says 'No need for an umbrella. No need. At all. About-bloomin'-time.'
Sometimes you just feel like you deserve to smile like that, y'know?



And so, in this crazy whirlwind of happiness, sunglasses and 'gradual tan' buying - yes. I know what you're all thinking. IT'S MARCH JESS. Well... I believe it's good to be prepared - my Nana's birthday came around. On the sunniest day!!
It must be fate.


And to match my sunny disposition, I baked Nana an equally sunny and zingalingin' - yeah, I made this up. It's kinda like crackalackin', but so much more fabulous - orange cake!

I tell you, my friends. I was feelin' freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!



This is my kinda cake.
So light. So... so... ORANGE-Y.

I don't know why but I never really imagined liking an orange cake.
Please don't ask me for a reason, because I totally LOVE oranges!
I knew it could be incorporated into a cake... but... really? To tell you the truth, I was sceptical.

However, Mary Berry said it was, and I quote - 'always popular with the family'.
She's never wrong. Why is this? Because she's a Goddess. Truly.


You just bung every ingredient in...


And waheeeeeeeey we go!!!




I'm going to call this my 'sunshine' cake from now on.
Happy Birthday Nana! x

Ingredients
For the Cake
175g soft margarine
175g caster sugar
3 eggs
175g self-raising flour
1 and a half teaspoons of baking powder
grated rind and juice of 1 orange

For the Icing
2 tablespoons of apricot jam
100g icing sugar
finely shredded rind and juice of 1/2 an orange

Method
Preheat the oven 180 degrees.
Lightly grease and base line a 20cm deep round cake tin with greaseproof paper
Measure all the ingredients into a large bowl and beat well until thoroughly blended
Turn into the prepared tin and level the surface
Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 35 minutes until well risen and springy to the touch
Leave to cool
For the Icing
Measure the apricot jam into a small pan and gently warm through
Brush onto the top of the cake
Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and mix in the orange juice
Pour over the top of the cake and spread with a palette knife
Leave to set then decorate with the orange rind
(I added the little iced flowers... as a spring-time addition to my Sunshine cake!)



P.S. I'm now getting a wised up on the ol'social network front!
You can follow me on twitter : here
And, you can follow me on pinterest : here

Check it out! I'd love to hear from you all!
Much love. xx

[recipe taken from Mary Berry's Ultimate Cake Book]


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment